My A-Levels, Revision, Grades & Top Tips


I began my A-levels in 2015, the year when all the changes were bought in regarding the way A-levels were run etc. Most modular subjects became linear, meaning all exams were sat at the end of year 13. For GCSE, I got 1A*, 9A's & 2Bs, and I chose to study Maths, Biology, Chemistry & Geography in Sixth Form. In year 12 I did an EPQ/Extended Project Qualification (see my first blog post) and achieved an A. In year 12 I struggled with maths, despite getting an A at GCSE, and I asked to drop the course to focus more on chemistry as I was also struggling with this, but I wasn't allowed and had to continue so on AS results day, I got an A in Biology, Geography and my EPQ, an E in Chemistry and a U in Maths. So, across the board, not great - although Biology and Chemistry had become linear so the A and E wouldn't matter if I continued the subjects into A2. Needless to say, I finally dropped maths, and continued chemistry (still one of my pet peeves - I hate chem). At A2 I studied Biology, Geography and Chemistry. I got a chemistry tutor who helped me a ton and after a lot of hard work, I finished sixth form with an A* in Geography, A's in Biology and my EPQ and a B in Chemistry (which I'm certain is a miracle). This meant I got into my firm choice university, the University of Nottingham and I now study biology.




Regarding A-level revision, my top tips are:

  • Organise yourself before you even begin revising - order your notes, ensure you have everything you need (pens/paper etc.) Throw away any unnecessary paper or notes that are in your folders as they only make the pile of revision seem even bigger.
  • Grab a drink and snacks before you start so you have no reason to get up, otherwise I find myself walking to the fridge every 5 minutes.
  • Make a to-do list of everything you need to revise. There's nothing more satisfying that completing the list by crossing everything off.
  • Set yourself realistic targets, don't tell yourself to complete an impossible amount of work in one day as you'll only find it demotivating. Also, don't forget to reward yourself when you do complete something.
  • Revise in small chunks, I find the best way for me to revise is: 20 minutes work, 5 minute break, 20 minutes work, 5 minute break, 20 minutes work and then a 20 minute break to finish the hour of revision.
  • I always find it motivating to revise topics that I already understand and it is so pointless, it's a waste of valuable time. Encourage yourself to revise topics or subjects that you find challenging.
  • Ensure that you keep revision notes organised and don't cram tonnes of information onto the pages of notes. 
  • Find a way of revision that works for you, personally I make notes on the whole course and then do past papers, flicking back to my notes when I'm unsure of how to attempt a question, although many people I know love revision cards and other methods.
  • Start early(!). Begin months prior to the exams so that you feel prepared for when exams do come around.
  • Don't stay up too late the night before exams, sleep is key and if you start early enough you won't need to cram.
  • The night before/morning of an exam don't try and revise for hours, read your final notes a few times over and this should be enough. What you don't know the day before, you're not going to know.
  • If you're studying science based A-levels, I thoroughly recommend Physics & Maths Tutor for loads of biology, chemistry, physics and maths resources, as well as past papers and mark schemes.

Good Luck!

Katie x

Comments

Popular Posts